A Little Bit About Me...
I am a storyteller, always have been. I knew I wanted to be an author when I was 10-years-old and participated in a "Young Authors’ Day" workshop! I even wrote stories in my spiral-bound notebook and read them to my friends at recess. I love sharing my imagination and creativity with young readers!
Here are some fun facts about me:
- I am also a cartoonist (although I do not, currently, do the art for my books)
- I love playing board games and role-playing games, like Dungeons & Dragons. They have helped me become a better storyteller
- My wife (Jess Rinker) is also a published children’s book author and together we have SIX children! We’re like the modern Brady Bunch!
- I love dogs. We have two Aussie puppies: Pepper and Tucker. You can see lots of pictures of them on Instagram @Bluepepperpaws
- I was a platoon leader in the Army and jumped out of airplanes. I lived in South Korea for almost two years. I’ve even driven a tank!
- I once hiked an active volcano
- When I was growing up, I was really, really into skateboarding
- I love cheese and do NOT love mayonnaise
- I am kind of (VERY) afraid of sharks
- I moved a LOT before high school (like almost 14 times)!
- I can fly small, fixed-wing aircraft
- I have my MA in Writing (Rowan University) AND my MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults (Vermont College of Fine Arts)
- I teach at Sierra Nevada University’s low-residency MFA program
- I am also an English Professor at Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College
- One of my favorite books is The Hobbit
- Sushi and Tacos are two of my favorite foods
- I love the color black (which is not a color, I know, but the absence of color)
My AWESOME agent
I am represented by Jennifer Soloway at the Andrea Brown Literary Agency.